Frequently Ask Questions
Q: Do I still have warranty if I purchase a barebone notebook computer?
A: Yes, you still have one year standard warranty from us or manufacturer.
Q: Can I purchase extended warranty for my barebone notebook?
A: Yes, you can purchase the extended warranty through product customized page.
Q: How difficult is it to build my own notebook if I purchase just a barebone from your site?
A: We are strongly recommended that let us build the notebook for you if you do not have such experience before. However, we are willing to help people who likes to put their own hands on building their notebook. Most of our barebone unit only requires you to put in CPU/Memory/Hard Drive and operation system to make it a complete system. You can check our website for each barebone unit on how to assemble those parts. Again, the parts we put in each notebook page are fully tested, so it is better to choose our parts and installed by us here.
Q: Can I send it back for you to install my parts if I have problems with building my barebone?
A: Yes, we can install your parts for you if you can't figure it out yourself. There is a minimal $20 installation fee apply to it, plus the shipping charge.
Q: What is "Glare Type" LCD?
A: The bright display reduces reflection to make colors darker and have sharper contrast for true-to-life images. It is the best choice for editing pictures, for playing 3D games, and enjoying DVD movies. The similar technology terms are like "Crystal Shine", "Color Shine", or "Glossy".
A: Due to chipset resource allocation, Intel 945 chipset based notebook can only use up to 2.8GB memory even you install the Vista x64 OS. AMD based notebook might have not this limitation, please check it's memory specs sheet.
Q: Can I upgrade my nVidia 8700M GT video card to 9800M GTX video card?
A: You need to replace the motherboard to support the 9800M GTX Video Card if you purchased your M570RU or D901C notebook before 12/31/2007. You can contact email@example.com if you want to replace your motherboard.
Q: Is IC Diamond heat paste better than the manufacturer included heat paste?
A: Yes, according to our test, IC Diamond can drop 3 or more degree Celsius than manufacture's own heat paste.
Q: What should I know before replacing the optical drive of my notebook computer?
A: Before you upgrade or replace the DVD/CD-RW drive in your notebook, make sure that the drive you are buying is compatible with your computer. Some notebooks require an optical drive that works in cable select mode (CSEL). Some notebooks require master/slave (M/S) drives. Typically the drive is set to master or slave through a firmware flash. If the optical drive is not configured properly, it might not be detected by the BIOS or you will get error when you start up the laptop.
In most cases you would be able to use the same connector board and DVD drive caddy (braces) from your old device. Just remove them from your old drive and install on a new drive.
Also make sure that your current plastic bezel (front panel) will fit a new optical drive. All bezels are different and very often you have to have a specific bezel for a specific drive. Do not hesitate to contact the seller and ask about the drive and the bezel compatibility.
Q: I just purchased a barebone laptop and put in my own CPU, memory and hard drive, but I have no screen coming up after I press the power button. What is the problem?
A: This is the most common question when the customers put in their own parts in a barebone laptop. Here are three possibilities to cause the "no screen" problem:
1. The most common one is the customer forgot to tight up the CPU position screw, so the computer does not recognize the CPU was there. Please check the following procedure and make sure your installation is correct:
Insert the CPU (Image A) , pay careful attention to the pin alignment, it will fit only one way (DO NOT FORCE IT!), and turn the CPU release latch to the lock position, make sure you turn it all the way to the parallel position, like Image B.
Image A Image B
2. The memory module is not installed correctly or defective. You can use your memory modules on another laptop and test it with some memory testing software like Prime95 to make sure it is OK. If you don't have another laptop to test the memory then use one module at a time to avoid the defective memory module possibility. Also make sure your installation is correct:
Insert a new module holding it at about a 30° angle and fit the connectors firmly into the memory slot. The module will only fit one way as defined by its pin alignment. Make sure the module is seated as far into the slot as it will go, the golden contact part should be nearly invisible. DO NOT FORCE IT; it should fit without much pressure. Press the module in and down towards the mainboard until the slot levers click into place to secure the module.
3. If the screen is still not showing up after you tried both methods above, you need to contact our tech support online at http://www.rjtech.com/support or call (909)3969140 for support.
Q: How to flash my BIOS?
A: Please check the file at http://www.rjtech.com/doc/bios_upd.doc
Q: My laptop is shutting down by itself, what should I do?
A: 1. You need to do some maintenance jobs:
a. Every year, replace the heat paste on CPU and Video chips, IC Diamond is recommended.
b. Periodically, clean up the dust clogged in the heatsink and fan, you can use the canned air to clean up inside the laptop. Make sure the air flow is not clogged inside the laptop.
2. Test the memory, you can download memtest86 from: http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm and run the test to make sure your memory is fine.
3. Make sure your battery is still re-chargeable and functioning.
4. Download HWMonitor monitor from: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html to monitor your CPU and Video Card’s temperature.
5. Download Unigine Heaven 3D bench mark from: https://unigine.com/products/heaven/download/ and run the program for one hour to test the video card, also monitor the temperature using HWMonitor download from above, the maximum temperature should be under low 90C. If the temperature is too high, then check the heat paste/heatsink/fan, make sure they are installed and functioned properly.